Thursday, 18 November 2010

Christmas Cake

So... are we all getting out lovely Christmas cakes made? I think technically they should have been done a week or so ago now (to give them time to mature before Christmas) but you all still have time should you want to!
I just love the idea of making such a sturdy complex cake, nurturing it and 'feeding' it delicious brandy for weeks before finally icing it with extravagant decorations. Nothing says Christmas like a bit of this cake.
Saying all this, I'd never made one before until this Friday when I finally decided it was time to get a little advance planning for Christmas done! I'm making this one to take around to my partners parents at Christmas, I'm determined to make it perfect for everyone! And suitably boozy too of course...
So here's a few pictures of 'the beast'

After soaking all the fruit in brandy overnight, I started the cake mix:

The mixture called for currants, sultanas, raisins, mixed candied peel, chopped almonds, glacĂ© cherries, ground nutmeg, flour, salt, ground mixed spice, 4 eggs, black treacle, grated zest of one orange and one lemon and soft brown sugar.
So many things! All the ingredients can mount up to quite a bit price-wise too!   
Gotta make sure you really line your tin for this one!
After, oooh only 5 and half hours in the oven, here she is! I would have liked it to be a bit deeper but I'm pretty pleased with it apart from that.
Then a quick 'feed' with brandy and it's thoroughly wrapped and placed in a tin before another feed next Friday.
I love a bit of old school cookery - you can always rely on Delia for a good Christmas recipe. I got this book off my partners Dad, he found it in a charity shop and it's like new!

No comments:

Post a Comment