Friday, 23 September 2011

Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes

Using my trusty Hummingbird Bakery cookbook as inspiration, I created some strawberry cheesecake cupcakes. Here's what I did:

The recipe - as I did, not strictly going by the book.

Makes: 8

Ingredients:

125g plain flour
140g caster sugar
1½ tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
115ml whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large free range egg
9 large strawberries, chopped into small pieces
100g digestive biscuits
12-hole cupcake tray, lined with paper cases

For the frosting:

300g icing sugar, sifted
50g quality unsalted butter, at room temperature
125g cream cheese, cold (make sure it's a quality cream cheese like Philly)

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and unsalted butter in an electric mixer with a paddle attachment or use a handheld electric whisk, and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.

2. Pour in the milk and beat on a medium speed until all the ingredients are combined. Now whisk the egg with the vanilla extract and add to the mixture, beat well for a few minutes to ensure the ingredients are well mixed.

3. Divide the chopped strawberries between the paper cases:


then spoon the cupcake mixture on top until two-thirds full



and bake in the preheated oven for 20 to25 minutes. Leave them to cool in their tray for 5 minutes before putting them on a wire rack.
4. Meanwhile, make the frosting by beating the icing sugar with the unsalted butter together in an electric mixer with a paddle attachment or use a handheld electric whisk on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed. I found that my handheld mixer worked wonders here!
Add the cream cheese in one go and beat it until it is completely incorporated. Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least five minutes.

5. Roughly break up the digestive biscuits and put them in a food processor. Process until finely ground. When the cupcakes are cold, spatuler on the cream cheese frosting on top and finish with a sprinkling of finely ground biscuits.





So there you are! I loved making these, they looked so pretty and the finished result tasted much better than I would have imagined (and I imagined they'd taste pretty good anyway!) The frosting used was a cream cheese one, something I've mentioned having issues with on here before. But, after ditching the electric mixer in favour of my hand held mixer for this recipe I am a complete convert now! The frosting turned out brilliant, almost nicer than a straight-up buttercream. So, unless I get that fancy £300 mixer for Christmas, I'm sticking to a handheld mixer from now on.
The addition of the digestives on top definitely gave them a lovely cheesecakeyness too.
One thing I was concerned about was the how soggy they might be with all those strawberries on the bottom, and, they were a little 'moist' but I think these are more of a desert cupcake anyway - best eaten with a plate and fork so that didn't matter.


YUM.

I would definitely make these again, one of my favourites.

x

2 comments:

  1. These look ace. Can you flavor the frosting??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I'd say so definitely! Though I'd just stick to essence (like strawberry essence etc) as adding anything else might interfere with the consistency of the cream cheese? I might be wrong though, give it a go! X

    ReplyDelete